Pages

Thursday 30 January 2014

I know it's only been a few days...

...but I'm getting pretty good at this whole "not spending money" thing! It's literally been less than a week...but, I was severely addicted to Starbucks and it has actually been not that hard to give up! All I have to do is think about Australia. Today I was worried because I actually walked somewhere, and my neighborhood is littered  with Starbucks (Starbuckses?). I ended up coming home with more money than I left with, haha. I brought a backpack stuffed with books to the used bookstore...they only wanted 6 or 7 of them. They gave me 12$. Better than nothing! When I was thinking about getting a delicious skinny peppermint mocha from Starbucks, I just thought about how I will probably have to sell 2 or 3 of my old books to make up for that. Not worth it!

I used to only order my food or go to restaurants. My husband and I never made dinner, I literally can't remember the last time we made dinner before this week. We have spend 0$ on eating out this week so far! I actually went grocery shopping! I know, pretty amazing, it's like I'm an adult or something!

I think this is the first time EVER that I've actually been serious about being good with my money. I am the worst with money. I get paid pretty well at my job, and we get paid weekly, but somehow my money would always be gone by the time I got my next cheque. I have nothing to show for it either. I don't buy expensive clothes, jewellery (I can't even spell it, that's how often I buy it), ANYTHING. I have no idea where my money goes. It's like I have multiple personalities and one of them is a drug addict and my other, semi-regular personality knows nothing about it. Anyway, I am excited that I am taking this seriously. My husband didn't think I would be responsible enough to actually pull off this Australia plan, but it's happening. I will not let it fail. I am determined to save up enough in a year. I do not want it to take longer than that!

I brought up the idea that we should, maybe, sell our crappy Ikea furniture (we might get a little bit out of it), get rid of all of our books, movies, games, random crap, and clothes that we don't really need, and move into a cheap bachelor apartment so we can save a few hundred dollars a month on rent. Hubby said maybe. I think he is confused at how seriously I am taking this, haha.

I did splurge on something this week but it was before I made my budget and realized how frugal I have to become. I bought tickets to see a Second City show this weekend. If it was after I had made my budget I would have waited for some sort of deal or something, but oh well. At least I will be able to cross something off of my "Explore My City" list!

I read that selling used books on Amazon was a great way to get some extra cash but I tried to put one of my books up and just before I posted it, I looked at the Canada Post website to see how much it would cost me to ship it. It came to about 13$ for me to ship it. Amazon was only putting shipping at $6.50. I put the book up for $5.50. Amazon was also taking a cut of $2.50 when/if my book sold...so I would just lose a lot of money. It's stupid. I made one big ad on Kijiji instead. I doubt any of them will sell that way but I figured it was worth a shot. The bookstore probably won't want many of these ones either.

There's a clothing store down the street that buys clothes but they only want nice clothes and they only buy for certain seasons at a time. I am going to go through my clothes soon and see if they will take any of it. The way I am looking at it now is, we are going to have to get rid of practically ALL of our stuff before we go to Australia, so we might as well start now. Especially since I am unemployed for now, haha. I hope this motivation lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment