Pages

Monday 3 February 2014

"What's the worst that could happen?"

I started reading The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss today. I was kind of afraid it would be stupid and I would hate it because after I had ordered it I checked out some reviews and a lot of people were saying bad things about it. I actually really like it so far though! I don't think it's going to be life changing (mostly since I have already decided to change my life, haha) but it is making me more excited to get away from how my life used to be and get into how my life is going to be. Maybe once I get further along in the book it will give me the perfect idea and I will make lots of money by barely working at all, but for now I am just enjoying the way it makes you think a bit differently. 

So far my favorite part is when he makes you think about what it is you want to do that you have been putting off, or that you don't think you can do, and basically ask yourself what the absolute worst case scenario would be if you just went for it. For me, I was thinking about just taking off for Australia right now, not paying off our debt first, not saving up money, just going. My worst case scenario looked a little like this:


 My already bad credit score would get a lot worse, and my husband's decent credit score would become terrible instead, because we couldn't afford to make payments on any of our debt. We would never be able to get a mortgage and probably not even be able to rent an apartment due to our terrible credit. Our car would sit around not driving while we tried to pay hundreds of dollars a month on the loan we used to buy the car. We wouldn't be able to get working holiday visas because you have to have 5000$ in your bank account (each) before they will grant you one...but I guess if we tried really hard we could find work under the table...and maybe we could work for accommodation too or at least stay somewhere really cheap, like a terrible hostel. Then maybe we could still afford the minimum payments on our credit cards and loans. But what about all of our stuff? I guess we could just throw it all away, or donate it, or put up signs in our apartment building for a moving sale...If we really couldn't make ends meet in Australia we could go somewhere cheaper to live, with more laid back laws about working holidays or working abroad. If we failed that too we could come back to Toronto and get jobs in our industry and make the money back pretty fast. If not, we could get jobs at Tim Hortons or McDonalds and live with the in-laws. Credit scores can get back to normal eventually.... 


It's just funny how you can give reasons that sound legitimate but all they really are is excuses. If we really wanted, we could leave now. I would feel a lot better if we paid our debt off first though, hahaha. If we leave all full of debt with no savings, we wouldn't be able to stay as long or feel as free I think. There I go making excuses again ;) but seriously, it's funny how you start to realize that everything is fixable and nothing that is going to happen is going to be the end of the world. Kind of fun to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment